Windows 2003 come with a amazing set of tools … One of which is IIS 6.0. I was just exploring some of the cool features of IIS 6.0 and here is the list … Maynot be exhaustive in its own way … But can be surely helpful for beginners …
- Architecture changes – Admin and the Application isolation
- Worker Process Isolation Vs IIS 5.0 Isolation
- W3Config Manager and W3 Process Mgr are the administrative processes that sit outside the application pool.
- HTTP.SYS does the request routing and the caching mechanism. This is in the Kernel mode.
- We can create multiple Application pool. This can be for reliability / site / functionality.
- Recycling Possible as in COM+ 1.5
- Can restart periodically or specified interval of time or when the memory reaches certain value.
- Self healing architecture
- Pinging at a specified interval of time and then recycle based on this.
- Crash detection and recovery
- We can shutdown application if the W3WP process crashes X times in Y time interval.
- 503 error is shown under such conditional shutdown
- Store sessions outside the process. This will reduce cache objects loss during recycling.
- IIS 5.0 runs under Local System account.
- IIS 6.0 comes with default lock down feature.
- We need to run the IIS lockdown tool before upgrade.
- All extensions are blocked. Enable only known extensions.
- Can use the MIMEMAP to do all the mappings.
- IIS_WPG is a new group introduced and to run IIS in a particular account, this has to be a part of this windows group.
- Sub-Authentication is not installed by default.
- URL restriction upto 16KB
- Command line utilities are accessible to administrators ONLY.
- Caching managed by HTTP.SYS hence its faster as it is in the Kernal mode.
- Use the OUTPUTCACHE in ASP.NET to use this feature.
- WebGarden scenario:
- Application Pool with more than one W3WP.exe’s
- It’s a connection based routing.
- Mask based affinity
- Recycling is all at once.
- Idle timeout – can set the time before freeing the resource. Application still runs though
- Easy metabase config (in an XML file)
- Auto-Versioning and backup happens
- Can be edited when IIS is running
- ADSI and WMI give new interfaces.
- Easily scriptable and portable.
- We can easily export and import configurations in IIS 6.0
- IIS 6.0 Resource kit has great tools like:
- Custom Authentication
- Log parser
- Metabase Explorer
- Self SSL
- IIS State Analyzer and many more
IIS 6.0 resource Kit Downloads Page:
Happy IIS 6.0 exploring … :) …
Found a link to this write-up at http://bink.nu/BinkPortal/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=348 … I think people have liked it …Share this article
This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 22nd, 2003 at 18:01 and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.