Recently have had the opportunity to work on Technical editing of a book for Satya Shyam (MVP – SQL Server) on “Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Administration Cookbook”. The best part of the whole exercise was tons of learning and notes exchanged and I enjoyed every part of the close to 5-6 months engagement with the Editors and Satya. Finally, the book it out – link from the publishers site itself.
The HA/DR options are plenty and many a times it is difficult to choose one option over another. So let me pick your brain for what were those technology decisions based on the business needs you picked one option over another?
- Log Shipping
- Backup and Restore
- Database Mirroring – Async mode
- High Performance Mirroring
- Peer-To-Peer Replication
- Copy Database
- Shared Scalable Databases (Updated: thanks Robert)
Please leave a comment on –
- Why the decision? Map the business to technical limitation.
- What SQL Server HA/DR option was used?
- What do you wish was available in the option that you used which is currently missing? Typical example here, wish we could query the Database Mirror for reporting needs (agree there is snapshot, still it is a workaround).
Giveaway: Depending on the answers, will make available you an e-book given directly by the publisher. There are very limited copies only – so drop your comments. Will announce winner on Friday based on the comments . Cheers and pass the word around.