What do you look for at work? January 16th, 2012

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life – Confucius

What does experience teach you? I think the priorities to get a job and do as you wish at work keeps changing. It is a wonderful tussle we have in our minds that it is often confused and messed up. Here are some of my thoughts around this topic. Not that everyone finds a sweet spot when it comes to a “dream job”. Though a dream job is always a moving target once we reach a particular state, it is important to have some clear expectations within us when it comes to seeking a prospective job too.

Find below some of my perspectives on what I personally think can make a big difference when it comes to life at work. Do these sync with the perspectives you have?

1. Chance to use skills to grow – This is critical aspect because I have seen some good friends of mine, just switch once they get stagnant in a single place with nothing to grow. This I thought was worth a mention.
  2. Chance to do something worthwhile – Second thing that comes to mind are a constant struggle to do something new every time. Yes, routine work is essential but people keep looking out for some new technologies to get hands-on and explore and quench their technology hunger.
  3. Feeling respected – As much as recognition is the much needed energy at work, getting that respect from colleagues is very essential for a healthy environment.
  4. Friendly environment – I have seen many look at what is the organizational state. Rumors, partiality, exploration, flexibility and many more attributes almost make or steal a potential workforce. I can’t emphasize more on this concept.

I remember a conversation I was having with a family friend and a senior executive in the Financial industry around the concept of generation divide when it comes to work forces. Interestingly, this internet based era when tries to sync with the pen/newspaper/NEWS era generation it just makes it even more interesting. Are the rewards, returns and their needs same or different?

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work – Aristotle

I think the one big difference that younger workers have is the desire for instant gratification and reward. I know some of the older, want the feeling of respect and a sense that they are accepted by their younger peers and less about the instant gratification. Many older workers look at doing extra as just part of the job getting done while the younger worker wants to be rewarded for doing the extra. These differences in thinking and attitude is what sometimes makes managers and HR’s split their hair :). Which category are you – remember recognition is different from rewards?

We pretend to work because they pretend to pay us :)

Conclusion

Have a positive attitude towards life at work. Don’t try to expect too much and get disappointed eventually. There is more to life and you can make the change to go where you want to. So stop cribbing and make immense with what skills you have.

I would love to hear from your experiences too. May be I am myopic and missing some of the obvious.

Tags: , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, January 16th, 2012 at 09:18 and is filed under Personal, Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “What do you look for at work?”

1. Soumya says:

Hello Vinod,

I really enjoyed reading your blog. It is very inspirational.

2. Vinod Sir, I am not much experienced so I have nothing to share but I really enjoyed reading this article. Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences and nice thoughts…

3. Ashish Jain says:

Hello Vinod Sir,

I am new reader of your blog. I like this post very much. You posts shows that you have very deep thinking on every topic you choose to post.

I like “Chance to do something worthwhile” and “Feeling Respectd” points very much.

I just saw your interview video on pinal sir’s blog. I liked it also.

Thanks,
    Ashish

4. AnupWarrier says:

Hello Vinod,

Great post!!!

These words inspired me a lot “There is more to life and you can make the change to go where you want to.”

5. Sandip Pani says:

Hi Vinod,
    Every Word of yours is inspirational for me.
    Its a presentation or a talk or an article, Each time I learned from you.

• Vinod Kumar says:

I am glad to hear it is of some help to you Sandip. Apologize couldnt spend the much needed time with you at the event. We can surely catchup at the next UG meeting for sure.

6. Manas Dash says:

Attitude matters and positive attitude matters positively. This blog post is just another diamond from the master’s bucket. Vinod, I enjoy my work everyday and try to share my little piece of knowledge with my teammates..this helps me a lot in growing everyday. Thank you so much for the post.

• Vinod Kumar says:

To enjoy your work is the critical part of avoiding Monday morning blues :) … Learning is a journey and you can do it at work, during work and off work times too.

7. Lohith says:

Hey Vinod,

No wonder why i call you sensei….apart from SQL Server you do pen some wonders every now and then and i always wonder how deep thoughts you have on everything….your perspectives and vision to look at things makes me rethink my thinkings & thoughts …. gald to have known you. Every since i have started my career i have always been positive at what i do and i have never ever compromised on what i do and the dividends seem to be paying now after a decade. I have always said one thing to my juniors and mentees – when you want to come to office, you will look at mirror and make sure you are dressed correctly and will adjust every minute details in clothing — code is you, so do make sure you code is dressed correctly so that some one else who sees that says wow you look beautiful today. This is an analogy i learnt the hard way. And also – dont work hard rather work smart ….

Good day sensei….

regards
    Lohith
    @kashyapa

8. Pinal Dave says:

Excellent blog post… once more time.

I think reading the conclusion says all!

9. Hi Vinod sir ,

Thanks for sharing. I am looking very forward to read article on various topics from you.

Few of my requests are as below,

1. What is silver line in between sharing your blog and article or advertising that ?

2. Who decide quanity and quality factor of an article and so of a blog ?

3. How to be motivated to write eventhough there is not much fininacial benefit out of that

4. How to make those people like you who hate you for no reason.

and many more sir ..

Thanks
    Your fan
    Dhananjay Kumat

• Vinod Kumar says:

Dhananjay – These are unique perspectives and tough to quantify. Not sure if I would be the qualified person to comment on them, nevertheless will try to give them a shot at some point in time.