Excuses are tools of the incompetent, and those who specialize in them seldom go far.
I have been fortunate enough to meet a lot of people and many ask me – “How do you do so many things?”, “How do you have time for this?”, “When do you learn?”, “When do you spend time with family?” etc. These are some of the typical questions and most of the times I tell them, it is about priority and most importantly it is about making time rather than giving any level of excuse. The world around us is filled with so much to do that we can actually make merry of each and every moment we have. Make sure everyone who deserve to get your time, gets that slice without fail. That is how you juggle time. Now in this post, it is not about how to manage time, it is about what are the thoughts that make you certain that you are not going to make it – the Excuses we have.
Pointers of typical Excuse
It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one – George Washington
Though these are my observations when working with people, don’t try to get crossed with yourself if you have done some of these in the past. Every day is a new beginning and it is within us to make the change happen. So here are my top 20 thoughts that confirm that you are not going to make it through -
- It is impossible and not realistic.
- I don’t have enough time.
- It is difficult and am not motivated enough.
- I am stressed out.
- It is never going to happen.
- No one believes I can do it.
- I can’t focus and am too lazy.
- I am afraid it can never work.
- I cant go any further, its just too much for me.
- I am not disciplined enough to get it done.
- I don’t know how to get it done, I can’t figure out.
- I already did everything I could.
- I can’t take chances and I have too much to lose.
- Am not good at completing tasks.
- I am not smart enough. I don’t have the energy.
- I am too scared and tired to take the plunge.
- I am too young or I am too old.
- Nothing ever goes my way.
- I don’t want to see me fail.
- I have EMI pay and responsibilities – no risks. :)
The best job goes to the person who can get it done without passing the buck or coming back with excuses – Napoleon Hill
All the above are some form of an excuse we are making up in our minds. It finally boils down to positive thinking.
All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become ~Buddha
Take it Positively
It is critical for us to have a positive outlook towards life. Being realistic and balanced is the most important factor. You surely are a better judge of your limits but to stretch little beyond that limit is what sets us to next level for the potential hidden inside us. A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.
Do not let circumstances influence your thoughts and moods. By rising over them mentally, you will eventually rise over them materially.
- Carry a positive outlook on everything that you do.
- Exercise and have a good posture that drives positive energy.
- Be thankful for the little things that make your life. Express gratitude to people.
- Anticipate the best and be optimistic – say positive affirmations when talking.
- Imagine a great future and find the silver lining that will change your life.
- Think of the people around you who are going through more difficult times than you are right now. This resets your mind to get positive out of the situation.
- Play with kids or see kids playing. Since kids live the moment and take life as it comes, it surely uplifts your mood too.
- Believe that you can make it and don’t leave it till the last moment.
- Share jokes and watch movies that make you smile. See the humor and irony in the situations around you.
- Practice thinking that you got lucky !!!
The difference between can and cannot are only three letters. Three letters that determine your life’s direction.
Please don’t get me wrong with the fact that you need to accept everything that comes your way. But look out for these excuses that your mind pushes and be prepared to over the same. I am a firm believer that if you can dream, it can become real. It is essential that we work positively towards it and make these dreams become reality. Remember that saying NO is not an excuse – to beat around the bush is making excuses. If you commit, be prepared to deliver and not give excuses.
Please pass me your comments and I will be more than happy to learn from your experience too.
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 31st, 2012 at 22:20 and is filed under Personal. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.